The Pokémon GO "Buddy Up" event has started.
During the event, players will receive various bonuses to become buddies with Pokémon quicker. They may also encounter Shiny Illumise and Shiny Volbeat, which can usually only be caught in certain regions.
Pokémon GO "Buddy Up" event overview (April 2020)Event duration
- 8am April 21, 2020 until 10pm April 27, 2020.
- Volbeat and Illumise, which can usually only be encountered in certain regions, will appear worldwide. They can be found in the wild, 5km eggs, and as a reward from Field Research. If you're lucky, you can encounter Shiny versions!
- Previously only available through Field Research Breakthroughs, Woobat can be found in the wild and through Field Research. This will continue even after the event ends.
- The number of the following special Pokémon encountered in the wild will increase: Alolan Meowth, Chansey, Eevee, Feebas, Lillipup, and Joltik.
- The following Pokémon will hatch from 5km eggs: Alolan Meowth, Eevee, Feebas, Lillipup, and Joltik.
- Event-exclusive Field Research tasks will award stardust and the following Pokémon: Alolan Meowth, Volbeat, Illumise, and Woobat.
- Earn double XP when evolving Pokémon.
- Buddy Pokémon will bring you presents and souvenirs more often.
- The distance required to earn Buddy candy and hearts for your Buddy Pokémon is halved.
- Your Buddy Pokémon will stay with you for twice as long if you feed them Berries or Poffins.
- It's easier for your Buddy Pokémon to get excited.
Priorities and tips
There are all sorts of ways to enjoy Pokémon GO, but we've put together some tips about rare and exclusive opportunities. Make sure you make the most of this event!
Make sure to catch Illumise or Volbeat. Usually, Illumise can only be encountered in the Americas or Africa, and Volbeat only in Europe, Asia, and Oceana.
If you're interested in Shiny Pokémon, you can catch Shiny Illumise and Shiny Volbeat. Putting the fact that they appear worldwide during this event aside, the increased encounter rate of these Pokémon makes this the perfect opportunity to catch their Shiny versions.
If you're training a Buddy Pokémon, increase your Buddy Level. Usually it takes a long time to do this, but during this event you can increase your buddy level quickly without the need to buy Poffins.
Also, if you haven't reached the Trainer Level cap, increase your experience by evolving Pokémon during the event. Don't forget to use a Lucky Egg for even more experience.
Also, consider setting Pokémon that are hard to catch as your Buddy during the event to collect Buddy Candy for them.
Pokémon GO Buddy Adventure now released, walk and play together with any Pokémon
This article was originally written in Japan. The images and content are as they were in Japan at the time of writing.